Tuesday 5 February 2019

A liitle bit of Halley history

This is either end of the history wall here at Halley. It has a photograph of all the wintering teams from 1956 until 2016 (when we stopped because of glaciological risk).

I am somewhere in the middle in winters 1989 and 1990.

When I arrived in Dec 1988, I brought my much loved Muddy Fox Explorer, almost certainly the first mountain bike at Halley - although the narrow tyres limited its use to really good surfaces.

Halley now has three FAT bikes, they work well in all but the softest of snow surfaces (when skis still have the edge). They are used for general recreation or for transport around the site. They are particularly good for going to CASLAB which is our clean chemistry lab 2km from the station where we limit access by combustion engined vehicles to the absolute minimum.

Here's me just playing around on one.




3 comments:

  1. And 30 years later your Muddy Fox is on display on the garden fence just like your wintering photo for all to see!I hope you send the Fat bike photo to the manufacturer for some Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! I check by every so often to see if you've made any new posts. I'm 17, living in America, and hope to one day be stationed with the USAP. Keep up the awesome content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep posting - make a plan on how to get there and you will.

      Delete